Saturday, January 23, 2010

How many Cards are there to collect?

So I think 6,000 cards is too many as a starting goal, maybe I should narrow my scope from all of Salmon cards to only those by a single artist, maybe A. R. Quinton. That would bring down the scope to about 2,300 cards. I think I could handle that. 


So off I went again, on that well know auction web site and found a set of 5 cards from Tenby which looked in really good condition and all had attractive scenes. Now I had 6 cards from Quinton or ARQ as he sometimes signs his cards. Not sure why some cards are signed A. R. Quinton and some cards signed ARQ, even to this day after seven years of collecting it remains a mystery to me.



2347 Tenby Harbour


2343 Tenby & Caldy Island


2350 Tenby from The Slopes


 3769 St Catherine's Rock Tenby



3796a Tenby from the Sands


The last card, I have added the letter 'a' to the number because this card is not the original 3796 image, in fact the image has been altered where two rowing boats have been removed from the original image and the green deck chairs have been added. I still do not have an image of the 3796 card with the two rowing boats. Anyone out there that has this card that would like to donate the image for my files, that would be great. I also found out at a later date that this card may have been updated not by ARQ (even though the card had an ARQ signature) but by another artist, William Carruthers and he signed his cards as WC.


At this point, I was collecting in the dark so to speak. I had no catalogues, no list of Quinton cards or indeed of Salmon cards. So my next task was to do some research to see if there were any lists out there.



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations. Looks great. I look forward to your next contribution. My husband Quintin collects ARQs and I collect ARQ's relative F.E.Q. which stands for Frank Ernest Quinton. I will put up a picture for you next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jean, You're my first follower. My collection of Salmon cards is mainly ARQ cards of which I only have about 1,200. Still a long way to go before I have them all.
    I also have several FEQ cards which are harder to come by.
    Thanks for following.

    ReplyDelete