Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Jump Forward in Time

Just wanted to jump forward and talk about a card that I purchased at auction just a few days ago. Not really sure if a got a deal or not.

The card was inexpensive and it was not listed in the ARQ catalogue that I use as a reference. However I have a second catalogue that lists all Salmon postcards not just A. R. Quinton and it was listed in that catalogue. The card is the Victory in Portsmouth by the artist ARQ.




3444 The Victory Portsmouth





The Salmon catalogue has the caption of the card as “HMS Victory Portsmouth” but the caption on the reverse of the card reads “The Victory Portsmouth”. Also there is no artist signature on either side of the card but there is what looks like a signature to the left side of the Victory, near two cannons. I really can’t make out the signature, certainly not A. R. Quinton or ARQ. I did examine the card under a magnifier but the signature was such a low resolution image I couldn’t make it our. So I’m not really sure if this is indeed the correct 3444 card by ARQ. Any feedback on this card would be welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment